Sunday, January 07, 2007

Cream Cheese Brownies

Caroline asked for the recipe for the cream cheese brownies that I made. Here it is. It is out of Best of Country Cookies that my grandma Peggy got for me and my sister so very long ago. I like to think she would enjoy how much we use it.

Cream Cheese Brownies:

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar, divided
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup instant hot cocoa mix*
4 eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped nuts (I generally leave these out cause my dad is allergic to them, the brownies still come out fine)

In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and milk until fluffy; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, hot cocoa mix, and remaining sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and nuts; pour half into a greased 13-in x 9-in x 2-in. baking pan. Spread with the cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining batter. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl the cream cheese. Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Yields: 2-1/2 dozen

The cookbook publishers did the recipe with Swiss Miss cocoa, but I have found that the cheap generic brands work just as well.

Hope everyone enjoys these as much as we have.

No comments: