Monday, January 08, 2007

Whoo Hoo!

From time to time, I like to get onto dairybulls.com, just to check and see if any new preliminary bull proofs have been added. I use a large number of young sires, primarily form Select Sire Power, and preliminary proofs are a good way to know if you can expect a bull to be ‘released’ from the stud. This means that they get added onto the price list and put into the stud books, and are available to be bought so that breeders can use them in their herds. One bull that I started using about three and a half years ago was Ocean-View Derry Zander. I got three pregnancies, two of which resulted in heifer calves (Foolish, and Spruce). Zander has a preliminary proof consisting of 35 daughters in 25 herds for 491 lbs of milk, and a 70% reliability. Not too bad. USDA really hits bulls if they are over a certain percentage of inbreeding, which he is. But I like him pretty well. I would definitely get some more semen if I could.

No comments: