Saturday, February 13, 2010

Home from Iowa

Ok so Iowa was an amazing trip. I had a blast! The people were amazing. I think I met someone from pretty much every state in the central and western portions of the country. Montana and North Dakota had the most erhm interesting groups. Minnesota had some of the sweetest. And the ones from Ohio, Iowa and Wisconsin definitely had the craziest stories.

Aside from a couple of very young kids though I was the youngest there by far. The other young producers were in their 30-40's and to say the least I felt a little out of place at first. But a more welcoming group of people you could not ask to meet. I think I was invited to lunch with just about everyone. And if I were more of a dancer, at the Wednesday night dance I would never have been allowed to sit...Fortunately for me I am a HORRIBLE dancer and was able to plead out on all but a couple.

The only downside to the trip was the return flights home. Not the coming home part. But rather the weather portion. Leaving out of Cedar Rapids we were over an hour delayed.

First they had no clue as to why, turns out a piece of interior material had fallen off.

Then we had to be de-iced.

THEN Air Traffic Controls tower lost power.

And we sat on the run way...

For roughly 45 minutes. 5 of us had a one hour gap between our landing and connecting flight. We docked into the terminal with 5 minutes before take-off on the second flight. The flight attendant asked the other passengers to allow us to de-board so we could make the flight. They didn't. I had on the Syracuse sweatshirt that my big brother and darling sister in law got me for Christmas. You have no idea how good a thing that was. A former football player from 'Cuse, I wish I knew his name, said you going to NY, I said yes, and he said get behind me hold on and lets go. And he blocked for me the whole way down C terminal, from gate 32 to gate 8. We were the last group of people to board. Let me tell you I would rather NEVER do that again.

Then we landed in Syracuse over 30 minutes early. My poor dear darling boyfriend had offered to pick me up. And was planning to be at the airport at 6:45, 15 minutes before my flight was due in. When I called to let him know I had landed at 6:15 he was really upset. Apparently short little shits like me aren't supposed to wait at the airport. Either way it all worked out. I got home, safe sound and somewhat peeved with travel. I feel that the 5 years between my flying experiences was not quite enough. However next year the convention is in Kansas City. I'm already trying to figure out how I will go.

On a side note I took pictures...they ended up coming out TERRIBLE! I couldn't even edit them into being less than grainy and fuzzy. SO on that topic, go to Facebook and search for National Farmers. They put up a whole folder from the event.

Hope everyone has a great Valentines Day!


threecollie said...

Glad you had fun, but even gladder to have you back home kiddo! Happy Valentines Day to you too!

Anonymous said...

Like I've told you before M.T.M. ;)

Glad you had a good trip and made it home safe and sound!

lisa said...

All things aside, I new you would have a good time. The people are fantastic once you get away from the eastern seaboard!

Anonymous said...

Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.............................................

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

The Wife said...

Okay, I was back tracking to see if I missed him somewhere. I see he picked you up from the airport. How did I miss this??