Friday, October 17, 2014

Growing chicks

The group, give or take a few they were moving a lot

The chicks I got from Ray are doing fantastic. I'm having to clean the brooder 2-3 times a week because they are such messy little monsters. They are going to get used to being handled at this rate. I have to scoop them up and stick them in a cat carrier that I use for poultry etc while I clean all the dirty shavings out of the old watering trough they are in and give them fresh and clean their waterer and feed trough. 

Pretty sure this is a pullet, and one of my favs

They are turning into beautiful birds. I am fairly sure that I have 5 or 6 roosters in the batch, 16 total birds. I'm pretty happy with that if it turns out to be the case. One may get to stick around as if it is a he he is absolutely gorgeous. The others well they will be bound for our dinner table. Some if they are nice enough I'll try to keep around until the swaps get started up again in the spring. Time will tell.

If I'm figuring right, pullet on left, roo on right

No comments: